Tuesday 1 September 2015

Leaving Leeds For Fife - Coooommmmme Ooonnnn Ye Paaaaaaa-aaaaarsss!

We intended to leave our mooring at Granary Wharf around 10am on Monday morning and would travel down the locks with Dave and Lynne on Spirit, who'd been our neighbours for a couple of nights.  Lynne had never done a river before so was a bit nervous.  However, we received an email alert from CRT just after 8am, saying following the heavy rain the day before, the lock gates were closed at Knostrop.  It was an 'Advice' alert, rather than a 'closure' one, but we thought if the flood gates were locked then the navigation would be closed.  We rang CRT and they advised us to stay put and wait for an update.  No update ever appeared but watching the water levels and speaking to other boaters, we left about 1pm, with the water level markers on amber.  

Waiting for River Lock in central Leeds which will drop us 11 feet into the River Aire.

Although the water levels were okay, there was quite a flow as you came out of the lock - we felt like a cork being popped from a bottle of champagne.
Getting alongside the pontoon on the other side of the gates was going to prove tricky - well not so much getting on it as the current would push us that way, but we'd struggle to get back off.  So the gent in the green t-shirt kindly offered to shut the gate for us and our crews came onboard whilst we were in the lock, then both exited out the one gate.  People are often keen to help and I accept every offer!!  At this point I handed the tiller to Mike, held on tight and we rode the rapids down towards Leeds Dock (also known as Clarence Dock) and Leeds lock.
Looking back towards Leeds - they've done a great job regenerating the waterfront.

Very pretty bridge just before the extremely tight right-hand turn whilst the water tries to drag your back end towards the weir.  I was glad Mike was steering - he handled it brilliantly.
 The water calmed down after this though we were still able to get a bit of speed up on the river.  The flood gates at Knostrop were now open and the water level was almost back on the green of the marker board, so we sailed through.  Soon we hit our first lock on the river.  I'm so glad we went in a pair as I'd have felt really guilty filling this one for just ourselves!!
Knostrop Fall lock  - room for one more do you think???
 There used to be a lot of commercial traffic on the Aire and Calder and apparently there still is, but we didn't see any on this section and none of the locks were manned anymore.  It's not the prettiest section of river we've ever done, but it was a nice cruise nonetheless and we enjoyed Dave and Lynne's company at the locks.  A few hours later and we reached Lemonroyd marina (a half hour drive by car from Leeds!!) where we were booked in for a week.  NB Spirit were carrying on, but were brought to a halt at Lemonroyd lock as the red light was flashing and the navigation below was closed due to high water levels so they had to pull onto the mooring and wait with another two boats for clearance to proceed.  I think it was cleared later that evening.  
On Tuesday morning it was a really early start for us with a taxi arriving to take us to Leeds station at 6.15am :(  Mike took a train to Grantham to work and I headed to Fife to lodge with mum for a week while I organised new tenants for the flat.  Thing is, mum was on holiday in Pittenweem for the week with my brother John and his kids Helen and Alex so I was home alone.  I used the time well, catching up with my friend Fiona and her kids Ruan and Elspeth on Tuesday afternoon; playing in the garden, playing on the swings and playing on the beach - it was great :) I had tea with them on Thursday and went to the local pub quiz in Burntisland, where we teamed up with Fe's friends Helen and Kirsty - and WE WON THE QUIZ!!!!  I think our 9/10 on the Disney Round was what got us there ;)
On Wednesday, I headed to Edinburgh to bid farewell to my lovely tenants for the last 15 months, and get the flat advertised for new ones.  There is a whole saga regarding a broken oven and subsequent replacement, but having lived through it once, I really can't be bothered reliving it here, and I know you're not really THAT interested.......
So, flat advertised on Gumtree at 9.30pm, by 9 am the next morning I have 40+ replies, so I took the ad down and contacted the first few who looked suitable in terms of entrydate and length of lease they were looking for.  Viewings on Friday saw the keys being handed over to the delightful Aiste and Gvidas on Monday morning.  Yep, they're all moved in.  But they don't have a working oven yet....... told you it was a saga.........  Thankfully I have my wonderful Odd Job Woman, Nancy to assist with all the annoying stuff - I couldn't have done this so smoothly without her - thanks hon x
Anyway, back to the fun stuff - woooohooooo!!  Friday night, mum, John, Helen and Alex and Queenie all arrived home, the family members safely delivered by my other brother Murray, who stayed for a curry as his taxi fee ;)  It was lovely to be all together, but we missed Julie, Murray's wife, as she couldn't fit in the car with the others in it.
Saturday is football day - Coooommmmme ooonnnn Yeee Paaaaaa-aaaarrsss!!!  John, Helen and Alex are devoted Dunfermline Athletic (known as The Pars) fans and Mike and I were happy to join them at a home match that afternoon.

Mike and Helen ate all the pies at half time
Serious stuff this football you know
 
Until a goal is scored - 3-1!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

John and Alex quite happy with the end result - tho' it was a game of two halves!!
On Sunday we went for a lovely walk along the shore at Dalgety Bay - this all just 5 mins from my mum's house.
Looking out toward Inchcolm Island over the point.

Helen, John Mike and Alex - the GOAL cards proved to be good swatting instruments and there was much hilarity as Alex tried to catch out his Aunty!!

Nice day for a sail on the Firth of Forth
On Sunday evening, Murray and Julie came for tea, so we had a great evening with the family altogether for the first time in over a year we think.
Monday saw us bid farewell to John and the kids as they headed back to Kendal and on Tuesday Mike and I returned to Quaintrelle for the next leg of our adventure.
It's funny, but I usually don't feel that Fife is my home when I go back now, but this time was different.  I don't know if it's because I stayed longer, or because I was surrounded by my complete immediate family, but I saw how beautiful Fife is, with it's rolling golden fields and blue water - well, it was blue while we were there.  I don't know.  But I felt sad to leave.  I love Fife.  I love my family more xxx



 

No comments:

Post a Comment